WL Ticker

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Defying Gravity: My Listen

I've been listening to the song Defying Gravity from the Broadway show Wicked.  As I listened, it struck me that it could be interpreted from a Christian point of view, tho I'm pretty sure that was not the author's intent. } 

But if you listen to it, not with a defiant or rebellious attitude--and, of course, skipping that whole Wizard of Oz thing-- but listening instead with the attitude of wanting to  live your life boldly for Christ, the words take on a whole new meaning.

The world and the enemy would drag our attitudes, behaviors, and heart down, miring ust in what is now an ungodly culture.  As I listened, I felt fired up to defy that gravity and walk boldly for Christ.  I realize that no one else may hear what I do in this song, but I hear it, nonetheless.

I hear defying the gravity that would keep me bound in obesity and poor health.  I hear defying, the gravity that would cause me to be circumspect in  what I do or say so that I don't lose favor with others. rather than choosing to soar with  the Lord who has shown me the ultimate favor  It's about the courage to walk this Christian life true to myself in Jesus, regardless of  the cost and raching new spiritual heights in the process. And, of course, there's the Rapture of the church!  Some serious defying gravity will go on there.  :D

At any rate, since I'm all fired up about my own personal interpretation of this song, and the oomph it's giving me,  here it is:

Ohhh, first, for those who'd rather red than listen, here's the lyrics.  :}
 
       
"Defying Gravity"
("I Stand" album version)
 
Something has changed within me
Something is not the same

I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts, close my eyes and leap!


It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
And you won't bring me down

I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change but 'til I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love, it comes at much too high a cost!


I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you won't bring me down

Unlimited,   My future is unlimited
And I've just had a vision.  Almost like a prophecy
I know it sounds truly crazy And true, the vision's hazy
But I swear, someday I'll be...

 Flying so high! (defying gravity)
Kiss me goodbye! (defying gravity)

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately,
"Everyone deserves the chance to fly!"


I'm defying gravity!
And you won't bring me down,
Bring me down,
Bbring me down!
Ah, ah [echo






And I just have to add this little clip from Britain's Got Talent of a most amazing child singing a bit of Defying Gravity.  If listening to her doesn't give you goose bumps you're goose bump maker is broken!

 
Ahhh, and that's the weigh it goes,
or should I say, "Up, up and a-weigh!"
snicker, sorry
 
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment